Thursday, February 20, 2014

Review: Family Magic (The Hayle Coven #1) by Patti Larsen

Paperback, 466 pages
Published October 27th 2011 by CreateSpace


Sixteen-year-old Sydlynn Hayle is the daughter of a powerful witch and a demon lord of the seventh plane. The trouble is, she just wants to be ordinary. Syd struggles to survive the minefield of her new high school while being torn between her attraction to football hero Brad Peters and the darkly mysterious Quaid Moromond. When her coven comes under attack, Syd is forced to face the fact only her power can save her family's magic.


 This novel is more YA but I still felt it a good read, and would in fact read more in this series if given the opportunity. Your heart goes out the the 16 year old witch/demon while she is bullied in school by the popular kids and how she has no friends. This happens countless times in her life cause the coven moves when they are exposed. She wants so badly NOT to be a witch/demon and wants to give up all her powers but is told at every turn that she can't, so she simply refuses to learn magic, then later regrets it when she doesn't know how to use it when things go south. I flipped page after page till I got to the end. And even though there were times I thought I knew where the story was going the author still threw in a twist or two that made you think, 'no way" ....I give this book a 4 1/2 stars


 Patti Larsen
 I write a lot of middle grade and YA paranormal books for someone who is afraid of the dark. And I wonder why I have to sleep with the lights on. Sometimes life is a teenaged B horror movie and I'm the one who investigates when the scary music is playing. But the voices are calling and resistance is… Yes. I am a Star Trek geek, too. And a fan of RPG’s. With a slight coolness factor since I've been told I'm allowed to join the pops.

Naw. I like being a nerdy girl :)

Website



No comments:

Post a Comment